Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Deleted

[ROOT] How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD or 2 with Linux/MAC - Noob (Simple) Version

OP prokennexusa

3rd May 2013, 07:13 AM
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Does anyone know if there are alternative links out there to the files referred to in the main post of this thread? Dropbox links are down at the moment.
13th May 2013, 12:26 AM

1 posts
missing dropbox links
I found that the dropbox account is down also. Anyone have any alternative links? The google play store su checker is something different, I think.
22nd May 2013, 06:41 PM

7 posts
Works with 8.3.1
Hi all!
Long time reader, first time poster. I wasn't able to find any confirmed reports on whether or not this method still works with system version 8.3.1, even though the other Windows script has some conflicting reports on success. I felt adventurous, so I tried it and it did work! Here are a couple of notes:

1. The download links seem to be working fine. I think one of the Dropbox links didn't work for me, but the attached files list at the end of the orginal post seem to be mirrored elsewhere and they work.

2. I'm still on Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6.8), so I found that I couldn't install the latest JDK from Oracle (installer says you need 10.7) and I couldn't download older versions without an Oracle Developer account. Instead, I followed the top answer from this thread to override the requirement. Briefly, you install Pacifist and use it to run the installer (for the latest JDK). Afterwards, you may have to go to System Preferences to change your Java settings to use the new JDK by default.

3. The su invocation did not work for me. I used 'sudo' for each command.

4. With the JDK in place, the rooting script worked flawlessly!

5. I had a slight issue disabling OTA, which I wrote about in that thread.

6. I also had an issue installing the Google Play Store, which can be found (along with my solution) in it's own thread.

It's now been over a week and my KFHD is running better than ever! I do notice some kinks every once in a while, like the Amazon Appstore had trouble loading once and the default Email app can't fetch emails sometimes, but nothing so far that hasn't resolved itself with a simple reboot. Thanks for the instructions and everyone's input!

Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
System Version: 8.3.1_user_3150820
24th May 2013, 08:41 PM

2 posts
Kindle Fire hd 8.9
Is it Ok to run this rooting tool on Kindle Fire hd 8.9? Thanks heaps for getting us out of Amazon's skinned over android os.

WELL!, now I do feel estupido, previous post's device is in fact a Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
System Version: 8.3.1. Question's already been answered.
Last edited by hakunka-matata; 25th May 2013 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Just saw previous post's signature is a kindle fire hd 8.9
27th May 2013, 10:14 PM

1 posts
Java on Mac OS/X 10.6.8 installation problem,
I am trying to root a kindle fire HD (7.3.1) on my iMac.

I am running OS/X 10.6.8. When I try to install Java Platform (JDK) 7u13, and run the installer application, I get the message that the installer requires the Lion OS/X, and the installer will not run on 10.6.8.

I think in OS/X 10.6.8, Java comes installed with the operating system, and is not installed separately. So what can I do?

Quote:

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 3: Open up a Browser, go to Oracle Java, Download and Install Java Platform (JDK) 7u13 - Please reboot after the install:

Last edited by barryjacq; 27th May 2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: added kindle version number
28th May 2013, 09:51 PM

2 posts
I can confirm that the Apple64 package successfully roots a Kindle Fire HD 7" with OS 7.4.1. Many thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjacq

I am trying to root a kindle fire HD (7.3.1) on my iMac.

I am running OS/X 10.6.8. When I try to install Java Platform (JDK) 7u13, and run the installer application, I get the message that the installer requires the Lion OS/X, and the installer will not run on 10.6.8.

I think in OS/X 10.6.8, Java comes installed with the operating system, and is not installed separately. So what can I do?

IMHO Java 7 is not required. If you have java already installed (`which java` should show you /usr/bin/java), then give it a try, otherwise download the most recent Java 6 update for Snow Leopard from support.apple.com/kb/dl1573
29th May 2013, 06:46 PM

1 posts
i ve a problem
Hi sorry for my english, I m trying to root my kindle fire hd 7 (7.31) on my imac 10.8 but it not works .....root many android seem to not work ... why please.
Thanks for your response ..

Last login: Wed May 29 18:31:15 on ttys000
imac-de-laurent-luc:~ laurentluc$ su -
Password:
imac-de-laurent-luc:~ root# /Users/laurentluc/Desktop/Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v18 /Users/laurentluc/Desktop/Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v18/RunMe.sh
-sh: /Users/laurentluc/Desktop/Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v18: is a directory
imac-de-laurent-luc:~ root# /Users/laurentluc/Desktop/Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v18/RunMe.sh
-sh: /Users/laurentluc/Desktop/Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v18/RunMe.sh: Permission denied
imac-de-laurent-luc:~ root#
11th June 2013, 07:24 AM

2 posts
hi, i rooted my kindal 7.3.1 and now would like to disable ota but all the instructions are windows based and im using mac. am i missing something ?
11th June 2013, 07:37 AM
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX
Thanks Meter: 609

2,229 posts
Donate to Me
More
They should be relatively the same, u push the script onto the kindle then chmod it then run it then remove it.

Oh and lulu64 I don't know if you ever figured it out but you need to set the permissions of the file so u can execute it, I haven't dealt with chmod permissions in a while though so I forget the number.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app
11th June 2013, 06:28 PM

2 posts
thanks for the info. the files say windows 64 or 32. its fine to use them on a mac?

Subscribe to Thread

Tags
how to root the kindle fire hd, root kindle fire hd, root kindle fire hd with a mac, root kindle fire hd with linux, root the kindle fire